Saturday, September 5, 2009

Pumpkins Everywhere!

These ADORABLE pumpkin baskets are created from the Sizzix Pillow Box Die....can you believe it? They are taped together long end, to long end. I first saw them on another demo's blog. I made a significant change to the design of the bottom of the basket however.

This picture shows the original design. It was functional, but it didn't seem very sturdy to me, and not very "clean" looking. It's the OCD in me *wink*. Basically it uses a 4" circle for the bottom and then 3 1"x4" strips to hold the circle in. It was quite cumbersome to assemble.
So here is my re-design. I used the Sizzix Scallop die to make the bottom of the basket. Then I scored between every 5 scallops and folded it up. And don't you know, it matched the sides of the basket perfectly!! This was my moment of brilliance all week! LOL The basket is much sturdier and now I know when I put the goodies in it they will be safe and not fall out the bottom. And I think it looks a whole lot neater. I think the original design was brilliant! I never would have seen a pumpkin out of those pillow boxes, so I thank Lynn Put for her design. I like to think I just improved on it.
This is the inside of the basket. Nice and neat.
I'm keeping one of my little pumpkins for myself. The other 2 are going to 2 of my special SU demo friends and mentors. I hope they like them!

9 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

What a great Idea!! Thank you so much for sharing. I am super excited because I have both of those Dies so I can make one too!!

Judy said...

Great Idea! Timesaving too, and great for additional sales! Can't wait to try one of these. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I love your modification to the pumkin basket. You did a great job. May I have your permission to copy your design? I will give credit for your design. Great fantastic job

Lyn said...

Gail, you may absolutely use my modification. Just wanted to make it clear that Lynn Put is the original designer of the pumpkin basket before I modified it. Thanks to everyone for your kind words!

ruth said...

Oh my gosh............so cute!!! You are such a smarty for fixing that cumbersome bottom of the basket. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great idea! I do love the cleaner look and fewer steps. However, when I tried the basket and started scoring as per your instructions, I realized that the scallop circle #2 die was not large enough to create the hexagon needed if scoring was done after every 5th scallop. I'm thinking you mean the larger scallop die, yes?

Lyn said...

SO sorry, YES it is the largest Scallop die!! I will correct the post! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

ktstamps said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing....can you send me the instructions for this pumpkin...it is soooo cute.
Thank you. kt

Anonymous said...

These are adorable! And your stamp room is amazing! -- Joan

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash